Tonight on Beam, we played Sniper Elite 4, the latest ultra-realistic World War II sniping simulation from Rebellion. This entry has some amazing co-op modes for 2-4 players - we had a blast with both Campaign and Survival mode. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay!
Sniper Elite 4
Rebellion's Sniper Elite series focuses on the adventures of Karl Fairburne, an Allied sniper during World War II. In this installment, Karl heads to Italy to aid the resistance and stop the Fascists from unleashing a powerful new weapon against the Allies.
Each campaign missions is absolutely massive, providing players numerous objectives that can be played in any order. Taking in the beautiful European countryside from a distance, identifying targets and enemy soldiers, and then picking them off from a distance is incredibly satisfying. The series' signature X-ray kill shots make skillful shots even more rewarding (and gory).
The Sniper Elite games always have great online co-op and multiplayer features, and this one is no exception. The entire campaign can be played in 2-player co-op, allowing players to watch each others' backs or divide and conquer. 4-player Survival (depicted in these screenshots) tasks a team of players with defending an objective against 12 waves of increasingly deadly enemies (and tanks). Overwatch mode tasks one player with sniping while the other works as a spotter in asynchronous missions. Six competitive modes round out the package.
Sniper Elite 4 is the smoothest and most polished game in the series, with improved traversal moves that allow players to climb and take position better than ever before; enhanced enemy AI; and a brand-new skill and weapon upgrade system. Our own Jez Corden gave the game a glowing review, and I have to agree. This is a game that shooter and sniping fans need to play!
We streamed Sniper Elite 4 for ~90 minutes tonight. During that time, we gave out a total of 9 game codes:
- 3x Sniper Elite 4 for Xbox One
- 1x G Prime: Into the Rain for Xbox One
- Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition for Xbox One - Donated by Alexkywalker!
- 1x Standpoint 4 for Xbox One
- 2x Stikbold: A Dodgeball Adventure for Steam
- 1x DIRT 3 for Steam
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- February 18: Instant Indie Hits Bundle! To celebrate Curve Digital's amazing limited time bundle of ten Xbox One games for $20, we'll be giving out six copies of the bundle. That's ten games you could win in one go!
- February 25: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero from WayForward. We'll play this gorgeous 2.5d platformer and give out copies for Steam and PlayStation, plus Xbox gift cards!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners never miss their mark!
Sniper Elite 4 for Xbox One
G Prime: Into the Rain for Xbox One
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition for Xbox One
Standpoint 4 for Xbox One
Stikbold: A Dodgeball Adventure for Steam
DIRT 3 for Steam
Tonight's prizes provided by Rebellion, Code Monkeys, Unruly Attractions, Curve Digital, and Alexkywalker. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!