Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers! We call this show Saturday Game School, because learning about new games is always fun.
Tonight on Beam, we played Star Trek Online, the free to play Star Trek MMO from Perfect World Entertainment. The new 'Agents of yesterday' expansion features classic Trek characters in a time traveling adventure. Read on for impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay!
Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday
Star Trek Online takes place 30 years after the end of Star Trek: Nemesis. It is set within the Prime Reality as opposed to the Kelvin Reality featured in the post-2009 Star Trek films.
Following the destruction of Romulus (as seen in the 2009 Star Trek film), the galactic balance of power has drastically shifted. A new Chancellor has assassinated his way to the top of the Klingon Empire and reignited the Federation-Klingon War.
Meanwhile, the new 'Agents of Yesterday' expansion sends players back in time to create a new captain from Star Trek: The Original Series. Captains will participate in new task force missions, fly classic era Starships and explore episodic story content inspired by the Star Trek series that started it all.
The 'Agents of Yesterday' expansion also features an impressive cast of characters voiced by beloved Star Trek actors, including Chekov (Walter Koenig), Scotty (Chris Doohan, son of James Doohan), Temporal Agent Daniels (Matt Winston), Admiral Leeta (Chase Masterson) and Cyborg Crewman 0718 (Joseph Gatt).
The best thing about 'Agents of Yesterday' is anybody can jump right into it, even if you've never played Star Trek Online before. You'll create a new character exclusively for this expansion, so new players and veterans alike will have the same experience and can even team up together. There has never been a better time to try Star Trek Online, the largest and finest Star Trek game in existence!
We streamed Star Trek Online for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of 15 prizes:
- 3 Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection Blu-ray sets - All 6 original Star Trek films in one collection! Open to US and UK residents only - prize will be of appropriate region.
- 6 Star Trek Online ' Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser' ships for Xbox One. The Tier 6 Khlinae-class battlecruiser is one of the many ships used to great effect by the Tal Shiar. It utilizes an insidious variant of Borg technology to subvert the weaponry of an enemy vessel – the Enhanced Indoctrination Nanite Dispersal System.
- 6 Star Trek Online 'Faction Packs' for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only). Contains unique ships, pets, uniforms, bridge officers, and titles for Federation, Klingon, and Romulan factions!
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 1am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- March 25: To be announced
- April 1: Trove, the free to play MMO from Trion Worlds. Watch us play this multiplayer voxel adventure and win premium items. No fooling!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
May these viewers live long and prosper!
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection Blu-ray set
''Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser' ship for Xbox One
'Faction Pack' for PlayStation 4
Tonight's prizes provided by Perfect World Entertainment and Mobile Nations. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!